(or to get “Mooned”)

You have found it! The source of information you need to experience this once in a lifetime event inEclipseLogodrawing copy Alliance Nebraska on August 18-21, 2017 to view the Total Solar Eclipse.
This website is updated regularly with the latest information on viewing, parking, staying, and enjoying Alliance and its citizens.

On Monday, August 21, 2017 the moon will align perfectly with the sun casting a shadow across all of Alliance causing a total eclipse of the sun. The best place for viewing the Total Solar Eclipse being on  the exact center of the eclipse path as the centerline enjoys the longest viewing time. Alliance, Nebraska is located on the centerline of the eclipse.
Don’t think that a partial eclipse is “good enough”, they say a partial eclipse is like standing outside the restaurant smelling the steak on the grill – while a TOTAL Eclipse is like actually eating the Nebraska Beef!

The start of the partial eclipse will begin at 10:27am Mountain Daylight Time. Full Eclipse will start at 11:49 am MDT and continue for 2 minutes and 28 seconds at Carhenge, 2 minutes and 30 seconds downtown Alliance and at the Airport Rodeo Grounds. See Solar viewing areas and directions.

With the dry Western Nebraska climate, and the time of year, there is an excellent chance of cloudless skies. Historically speaking, there is about a 50% chance of no cloud cover on that day and time, a 40% chance of some clouds, and only a 10% chance of total obscurity.
From Eclipsophile.com/Nebraska: “A good home base for eclipse expeditions is Alliance, NE,  located in the best weather zone on the plains. Highway 2 from Alliance offers 320 km of in-the-track travel toward the east if cloud avoidance is necessary and a westerly escape can go all the way to Casper, Wyoming and still stay in the umbral region.”

Alliance, Nebraska is centrally located for eclipse viewers from North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Wyoming and much of Canada.
Alliance is located 4 hours north of Denver Colorado (DIA) and 2 1/2 hours south of Rapid City, SD (RAP). I believe it was Carly Simon who once sang “Then you flew your Lear Jet up to Alliance Nebraska.  To see the total eclipse of the sun…” (or something to that effect) 🙂   Fly into Alliance (AIA) at FlyAllianceNE.com

Plan to arrive in plenty of time to stake out your viewing site, many sites will be provided in the Alliance, NE area. Local information on things to see and do may be found at VisitAlliance.com, viewing, camping, parking sites can be found HERE.

The weekend of the Eclipse will be filled with educational and fun events to make your visit to Alliance memorable, educational, and fun for the entire family. Come find out what Western Nebraska hospitality is all about and experience the Total Eclipse. We’re looking forward to seeing you in August of 2017!

The only time you can view the sun without protective glasses (CE Certified Safe Solar Eclipse Glasses) is during the total eclipse, at all other times, protect your eyes. DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN.
Souvenir solar viewing glasses are on sale through the Alliance Chamber of Commerce.

Lodging and attraction information for
Alliance, Nebraska

Other viewing sites in Nebraska at NEclipse17.com

Named as an official Nebraska’s 150th Birthday Event for 2017

Header image courtesy of skyglowproject.com

Alliance, Nebraska